Tampere Region Economic Development Agency Tredea and photographer Jukka Salminen will introduce the stories, people and phenomena of the Tampere Region as photos online for the whole world to see. Salminen will photograph life in the region in a year-long project for the This is Tampere website.
It is easier to get a winter swimming shot with someone you know because you can ask that person to stay in the freezing water just a little bit longer. This is the reasoning of photographer Jukka Salminen, who asked his winter swimming friend Juha Haapala to assist.
– You still needed to be pretty quick, since Juha was able to stand in the lake for maybe a minute. With this photo, I want to convey the excellent settings that the Tampere Region offers for winter swimming, says Salminen.
The winter swimming photo is displayed on the This is Tampere website for anyone to see and, this year, it will be accompanied by numerous other shots of life, people and phenomena in the Tampere Region. Every photo is also accompanied by a concise English caption on the backgrounds of the shot. The gallery being thus created will convey to its viewers moods of the Tampere Region selected by Salminen.
– My starting point is to put the focus on the locals who make the region interesting, whether they were born and bred here or they took the train. Some you may know and others you won’t, says Salminen.
Practically anyone moving about in the Tampere Region can end up in Salminen’s photos. The conversation between two customers of Lähiruokapuoti Lempi local grocery shop inspired Salminen to grab his camera.
– These women seemed to have such a great time that I decided to ask for their permission to photograph them. Usually, most people are not bothered one bit by me photographing them, says Salminen.
Salminen promises to keep his eyes open and his camera with him in case something worth photographing comes up. The majority of the gallery contents will, however, be carefully planned, since Salminen already has a list in mind of the topics he wants to photograph. He intends to visits streets, workplaces and events with his camera in order to tell with images about the local food and people preparing it, artisans, artists, athletes, etc. or about the nice-looking house that you pass by so often that you barely even notice it any more.
– I come from Toijala and I have lived in Tampere for about 14 years, I follow the events of the region actively – but one person cannot know it all, so, I welcome ideas for photos. I intend to challenge myself into doing stuff I would not do without this photographing challenge. For example, this might be a good excuse to take a spin at a dance pavilion for once, says Salminen.
Salminen is a recorded artist, song writer and DJ. The Tampere music scene is especially familiar to him and this shows already the This is Tampere gallery. Salminen has shot promo photos of the Tampere-based Black Motor band and he wanted to pick one of them for the website.
– This is a great example of one of the best things that Tampere has to offer. Top Finnish jazz musicians live here and perform here actively in different ensembles doing many types of music, says Salminen.
Salminen does music semi-professionally and photographs as his profession. His own company Tiikerikuva was established in 2002. Both of these passions have one thing in common in the way Salminen does things – they require an idea.
– You may occasionally get a good song or photo by scratching up something but if you want to proceed according to a plan, you must work for it. In the This is Tampere project, I am able to do just that, to communicate through photos the things I want to share about the Tampere Region, says Salminen.
The photograph gallery with its stories will be completed during 2015 at www.thisistampere.fi. You can share the photos!
Read a bulletin about the project on www.tredea.fi/en/news/a-year-of-photographs-from-the-tampere-region
Lue tämä artikkeli suomeksi (Read this article in Finnish) http://tampereenseudunvetovoima.fi/artikkelit/this-is-tampere